Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How to Get Platinum Blonde Hair at Home

Let me start this off by saying what everyone else will tell you when you want platinum hair: You WILL get the easiest, healthiest results by going to a salon. That's the truth. At the same time, you can get healthy, beautiful results at home for a much lower price than you'd pay in a salon. When I was getting my hair bleached in the salon, it cost $80+ every four to six weeks. Bleaching it at home cost me $30. Next month it will only cost $12, as half of my toner still remains. That is huge, as far as savings go.

Once you have all your supplies, you're ready to bleach your hair. You must bleach your hair before putting the platinum dye in, or you won't get the color you're looking for. Bleaching your hair works by removing all of the color that is currently in it, and opening the hair shafts to allow them to absorb plenty of new color.

To start bleaching, you should have a non-metalic bowl, a mixing tool(I used a plastic knife-no special tool), a comb, rubber hair care gloves and an old towel. The professional way of bleaching hair calls for a hair dying brush, but I use my hands - a technique I find much easier when you are dying your own hair.

Prepare the bleach for use. I am going to give you the directions given on the hair products I use for a basic idea of how it works. It is VERY important that you read the directions on the products you are using if you want the best results. Since I use two packets of blue bleaching powder, I also use the entire bottle of oxidizing emulsion cream. That means I use two packets of bleaching powder with 125 ml of cream. Prepare the bleach by pouring the cream into the bowl and then dumping the powder on top. Use your mixing tool to thoroughly mix the two together. The interaction between these two chemicals is what causes your hair to lighten. The mixture should be creamy - not too thick and not too runny. Place an old towel over your shoulders before bleaching, to avoid damage to your clothing.

Start bleaching from the bottom up. Pin your hair up so that only the very bottom layers are down. Starting at the BACK of your head, coat your hair with the bleaching mixture. Be sure to avoid the first three inches of hair from your roots, and focus on coating those tips. The tips will take the longest amount of time to bleach, so it is essential that you start with that area. Work your way from back to front for each layer of hair until your entire head is covered, still making sure to avoid the roots and first three inches of hair.

Leave the mixture in your hair for the time specified on the box. You will need to apply the mixture to the first three inches of your hair once the ends reach a certain level of color - typically when they hit the orange stage. While my hair is bleaching, I wrap my hair with plastic wrap to retain heat and speed up the process. I do NOT use added heat from a hair dryer(this can be really damaging). You can reapply the plastic wrap after putting the mixture on your roots. Then leave the mixture in your hair for the remaining amount of time. It is really important to follow the guidelines on the packet of bleaching powder. Mine specified to leave the bleach in my hair no longer than 35 minutes, but some brands require 60 to 90 minutes to reach a high level of bleaching.

Once the time limit is up, examine your hair before rinsing. In order to achieve a platinum color, your hair will have to reach at least the yellow stage. It will resemble the outside of a banana. It is recommended that you reach the light yellow stage though, which resembles the INSIDE of a banana, but personally, mine had some darker yellow areas and still got to a beautiful platinum tone with no problems. If you've hit the maximum recommended time and your hair is orange, you will have to re-bleach it in two weeks before toning it. If it is yellow, you're good to tone it now.

Rinse the bleach out of your hair completely, and then wash your hair with a gentle shampoo to end the bleaching effects. It is not recommended that you condition your hair before toning it. Next you will have to allow your hair to dry completely. You can blow dry your hair to speed the drying process, but this adds additional damage to newly processed hair. I prefer to let mine air dry, which can take a number of hours since bleached hair retains water for longer periods of time.

Once your hair is dry, you can prepare the toner for use. Once again, I will tell you the directions for use on the brand that I use but it is essential that you read the directions on your own product before use. In a clean bowl, pour the 10 or 20 volume oxidizing emulsion cream(my product calls for 50 ml). Then, squeeze the toner cream into the bowl(again, mine calls for 50 ml). Stir the products together until they are smooth and blended. Then, apply the mixture to your hair as you would with a boxed hair dye - starting with the roots this time, and working your way downward until your entire head of hair is coated with dye. Leave the product in your hair for 30 to 40 minutes(or whatever is recommended by the company). You do not need to use plastic wrap at this point.

Once the time is up, completely rinse the dye or toner from your hair. Follow by washing your hair once again with a gentle shampoo and rinse until the water runs clear. Next, condition your hair. This is so important at this point. I use my deep conditioner right away. What I do is coat my hair with deep conditioner and then leave it in for at least 30 minutes. This is very moisturizing on freshly bleached hair. After the 30 minutes are up, rinse the conditioner out and allow your hair to air dry.

At this point, your hair should appear to be a very light platinum blonde with no orange or brassy tones. If the color comes out brassy, you may need to bleach again. It is recommended that you wait at least two weeks in between bleaching to avoid serious hair damage. Typically, I find that you won't need to bleach a second time if you are using professional products.

From this point on, your hair needs to be babied. It's been through a lot to reach this color, and it will need a lot of care to maintain this color. Use blue or purple shampoo and conditioner at least once a week, and any time you feel that your hair is looking brassy. Don't leave these products in too long, as they can turn your hair blue. Use a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week. Apply a leave-in conditioner to your damp hair every time you wash it. It also helps to leave conditioner in at least 10 minutes every time you wash your hair. Avoid heat styling for the first week or two after bleaching, and place the focus instead on restoring your hair's moisture. Hot oil or protein treatments can also be performed once a week on dry hair. Instead of brushing, you should use a wide toothed comb on your hair and be very gentle.

I hope this helps! Enjoy your new, beautiful platinum hair.

Disclaimer: I am not a hair stylist, and cannot give better advice than a stylist would. When in doubt, consult your stylist. Bleaching your hair at home can be damaging and give undesired results. Although I bleach my own hair at home with good results, not everyone will have a similar experience. Remember that this advice is coming from a blonde individual with no experience as a professional. Always read and follow the directions on your hair products.

8 comments:

  1. So glad to finally see another user of Inebrya - Ice Cream brand. I have been using them for a few years and love it. I actually do these exact steps, and the same colour to achieve plat. blonde. It is comforting knowing I'm not the only one.
    Some advice to help prevent damage that I just learned about (and tried last night). I read to use cold-pressed virgin coconut oil on your hair before bleaching. Coat (not saturate), let sit for 1hr, and DON'T rinse out (you can but then you have to wait til your hair is dry), and apply the bleach on the coconut covered hair. What it helps prevent is the chemical reaction the chloride (bleach) and the metals in your hair create (similar to the reason you don't mix in a metal bowl). I don't know how much truth there is behind it (I am in no way a professional), but my hair does feel awesome now even after bleaching my hair. No it does not prevent the bleach from doing it's job.
    Also, instead of buying all those masks and stuff, use the coconut oil as a mask once a week. It's natural and amazing for you, and there are many other uses for it besides that. It is probably cheaper too.
    Thanks for your blog, happy to see more Inebrya users :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say toner, are you talking about actual toner like wella for instance or are you talking about using inebrya hair dye as a toner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.
    bridal hairstyles

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the best, clearest advice on how to bleach your hair at home!! I read many, many websites trying to figure out how to bleach my hair on a budget —after never bleaching it before. I bookmarked yours. Eventually I followed your suggestions & got really excellent results. Now, two years later, it’s still bleached platinum (from dark brown with significant grey) and your process is still the best I’ve found. My hair is (relatively!) healthy, the colour is fantastic, and I get compliments all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you'll still see this comment - but I just wanted to say, I bookmarked this article years ago as I followed your advice, and as someone who's not too hair savvy was able to achieve beautiful results. Every once in a while when I want to go blonde, I come back here for a refresher on how to do it. Thank you for the article! �� I guess a lot of people have been doing their hair at home this past year - I hope some were able to find your advice. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I need to use toner after the ice cream bleach treatment before applying the blonde color I want to accomplish. Will definitely follow the lady who wrote the first comment on the coconut oil before I bleach. Should I wait a couple weeks before applying the color I want to achieve. I'm not looking for platinum blonde just light blonde

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU NICHOLE!!!
    Just found this article and, like the rest of everyone commenting, found this easy to follow and answering all my questions :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent description considering you aren’t a professional! Thank you...This is the first time I’ve used Inebrya/ ice cream products and I am naturally dark blonde, freckles green eyes w more of a strawberry undertone to my hair... My sister is really ashy dark blonde with blue eyes and can lift to level 10 pale lemon yellow no problem! - I on the other hand, have an issue getting to level 9/10 without upping the volume and increasing the damage ...It didn’t matter so much when I had a 1” short pixie boy cut in the 80s and I used to bleach my hair every three weeks — I always managed to get it to a perfect platinum blonde (using ‘white lady’
    T18 from Wella as my toner) but it took 40-50(!) Vol. and there’s no way my middle aged blonde can handle that now that my hair is long.
    I’ve bleached twice now and I’m still orangey- (definitely only level 7/8) so it doesn’t matter what platinum toner I’m using it won’t make a difference without being lifted enough, even w using 20 volume for a bit extra lift (instead of the 10 volume to just deposit colour) ... I also keep my head warm, followed it exactly as you described and the package 35 minutes 1:1 bleach to 30 volume of ice cream — is ANYone Else having trouble like this???
    Brand new bleach/ brand new developer/peroxide ...I really really don’t want to put the blow dryer on my hair- its too fine and it just turns it to a spongy damaged mess !! Do you think I’m stuck going up to 40-50Vol. Again??
    I’ve never used this particular brand before and I know years ago from being a stylist they did used to sell ‘high lift’ bleaching powder -do you think I should look for something else? During Covid I was amazed u can now get Inebrya at ShoppersDM.
    Thank you for such a great detailed article... I would so appreciate your “home“ advice as it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete