Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What to Buy To Get Platinum Hair at Home

Given the cost it takes to maintain blonde hair and treat any damage, $12 to $30 for the color itself is great! That leaves me with plenty of extra money for blonde shampoo and conditioner, purple toning shampoo and conditioner, styling products and protein treatments. So now, I will help you choose the best products in order to bleach your hair at home and get a beautiful platinum blonde color.

First, you'll need to pick up the supplies. I NEVER recommend using boxed hair dyes for blonde hair. First of all, the colors on the front of the boxes are often wrong. And the swatches on the back are designed to show the results on NATURAL colors.. so if your hair has already been dyed, it is highly unlikely that you will get those results. So I always recommend professional colors. I use Inebrya Ice Cream hair color.

What you'll need is 30 volume oxidizing emulsion cream and blue or violet bleaching powder. Many people choose 40 volume, but this can be highly damaging very quickly. 30 volume cream will still give you a high lift, but less damage. When it comes to buying bleaching powder, the blue or violet on the label lets you know that it is ideal for getting a non-brassy result. You may be able to get away with buying one packet, but I had to use two for my full head(and my hair is only chin length).

Next, choose a good professional toner or hair dye. If you want super platinum hair, it is best to choose a color that is violet based. Typically, it will say "pearl" in the name. The color I use is called Pearl Superlight Super Platinum. The violet base in the color ensures that any brassy or orange tones will be removed when the dye is applied to your hair. Along with the toner, you'll need more oxidizing emulsion cream. You can either buy 10 volume or 20 volume for this purpose(I use 20 volume).

Now, although not essential, I would recommend buying a deep conditioner along with your bleaching supplies. This is especially important if this is the first application of bleach to your full head. Once again, I use Inebrya. I buy their Dry-T Mask, which smells like bananas. It is full of various types of proteins to help restore moisture and softness to the hair. I also buy a protein treatment at this time, because hair needs a little extra TLC after bleaching. I use VO5 Hot Protein treatment. You may also wish to pick up the rest of your hair washing and styling supplies before bleaching your hair, so that you don't need to go shopping again; if you buy your blue or violet shampoo and conditioner ahead of time, you have it ready for quick toning whenever you need it.

Now you're all set! Next I will talk about how to use professional dyes to get platinum results at home.

1 comment: